I’ve returned. Didn’t think I’d be gone too long? Summer was busy, hopefully fall won’t be so busy (meaning, I won’t be goofing off as much!).
Been meaning to follow up with more Rochowiak data I’ve been collecting. Worked to trace the Martin Rochowiak family, my great-grandmother’s half-brother. As noted previously, I do have the marriage record for Martin and his wife, Catherine. However, the data I have been able to locate has been incomplete so far. Here’s what I’ve found so for that I can at least verify.
Martin and Katherine were married 3 November 1877 in Góra Żnin, Poland. I cannot locate any ship manifests that could be considered at least close to either Martin or Katherine. The 1910 and 1930 census records provides an immigration year of 1885; the 1920 census provides an immigration year of 1889. Per the 1920 census, Martin was naturalized in 1897. So that is an area for some research in the future–to review immigration records in the Toledo Lucas County Library to locate the naturalization records.
Martin and Katherine had seven children:
- Frances, b. 1880, d. 1961, m. Felix Tafelski. Frances likely was born in Poland.
- Agnes, b. 1882, d. 1928, m. Anthony Dutkeiwicz. Agnes was likely born in Poland.
- Teresa, b. 1883, d. unknown, m. George Suchala. Teresa was likely born in Poland..
- Joseph, b. 1880, d. unknown, m. Justina ?? — Joseph did not seem to marry until after the death of his parents. The 1930 census places Joseph living with his parents and the 1940 census shows him living at the same address with a wife named Justina. The address on the 1930 census indicates 406 Detroit; however, his father’s death certificate reflects an address of 408 (which is the same address as the 1940 census).
- Jadwiga, b. possibly December 1891, d. p0ssibly December 1953, m. possibly twice: once to a Buckowski and secondly to Frank K. Sieja. Her parents’ death notices list her as Hattie Buckowski. Her death certificate notes her husband as Frank K. Sieja and her name as Pauline and as Jadwiga.
- Rose, b 1893, d. 1931, m. Anthony Luczak.
- Martha, b. 1899, d. 1982, m. Benedict Idzikowski.
Martin died 12 February 1931. His death notice was published in the Toledo News Bee on 13 February 1931 and is transcribed below:
ROCHOWIAK, MARTIN–Age 80 years, beloved husband of Catherine, Thursday at 7 p.m. Father of Joseph, Mrs. Frances Tuselski, Mrs. Theresa Suchala, Mrs. Rose Luczak, Mrs. Hattie Buckowski, Mrs. Martha Idzikowski, 25 grand-children and six great-grandchildren. Funeral Monday, Feb. 16 at 7:45 a.m. from the residence, 408 Detroit Ave., and 8 a.m. at St. Stanislaus church. Interment family lot Calvary cemetery. W.K. Sujkowski
Katherine died just a few weeks later on 5 March. Her death notice was published on 6 March in the Toledo News Bee and is transcribed below:
ROCHOWIAK, KATHERINE–Aged 73, ???, widow of the late Martin Rochowiak, beloved mother of Joseph, Mrs. Frances Tafelski, Mrs. Theresa Suchala, Mrs. Rose Luczak, Mrs. Hattie Buckowski, Mrs. Martha Idzikowski, 26 grandchildren, and 6 great-grandchildren; Thursday at 10 a.m. Funeral Monday March 9, 8:45 a.m. from the residence, 408 Detroit Ave., 9 a.m. at St. Stanislaus church. Interment Calvary Cemetery, family lot. Friends invited.